Sunday, February 21, 2016

What's In ~ What's Out

On December 29, 2015, the Wall Street Journal ran an article online Top Five Interior Design Trends for 2016.  The article is here. 

Here is an excerpt:

Wall Street Journal ~  Top Five Interior Design Trends for 2016.


What’s in for 2016

OLD-WORLD ORNAMENTATION

"People want the traditional and dressy, with a shot of nostalgia, to feel like everything is going to be okay," said Toby Fairley based in Little Rock, Arkansas.  In 2016,  look for brocades, tapestries and Georgian and Empire antiques.  Fringe, cording and tassels soften the austerity of modern upholstery noted  Kirill Istomin, who has offices in Moscow and New York.  Expect, too, dramatic drapes.  "Rooms without curtains are like a man in a suit without shoes," said Kathyrn M. Ireland, British designer.


What’s Out for 2016

THE INDUSTRIAL LOOK

Joe Lucas of Lucas Studio in Los Angeles considers “industrial chic” an oxymoron. “Enough of looking like we are living in the garage,” he declared. The style has become a signifier of millennial-coffeehouse design, said Mr. Brown, who maintains a design practice in New York. “I’m all for reduce and reuse, but I would prefer not to drink out of another Mason jar in a barn in Brooklyn.” New York designer Julia Haney-Montanez takes the oversaturation personally: “I have ended friendships with people asking me for Edison lightbulb resources.”

SISAL AND JUTE

Of these two types of fiber rugs, sisals are the tougher but also the rougher. “They don’t feel soft or cushy on bare feet and are not very child- or pet-friendly,” said Mr. Corrigan. And jute lacks durability, said New York designer Philip Gorrivan. “It wears quickly, stains easily and is virtually un-cleanable.” Its worst offense? Ubiquity. “When you can get a rug for $140 at mainstream stores,” said Birmingham, Mich., designer Corey Damen Jenkins, “the trend has overstayed its welcome.”

What's your opinion on this?  Do you think sisal and jute are on the way out?  What about industrial chic?  Are you a fan?  Brocades and tapestries a look you like?  What about dramatic drapes?


~ And on to other news, on the mantel, what's out are the plates I shared on my last post on my mantel.  What's in ~ are my new to me vintage plates!

IMG_3401




IMG_3386


IMG_3385




IMG_3415




IMG_3384




Jan



4 comments:

  1. I love those plates! (and the lamps). I am an old-world fan. I don't know about the sisal/jute, but I love pretty rugs and curtains. Industrial looks good in a big old NYC loft, but it's not for me. Mid-Century Modern - sick to death of hearing about it. It's worse than the dreaded chevron stripe. (for me - no offense to anyone that likes chevron stripes). I guess I'm not that big on trends. Thanks for the link to the artlicle and the always lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan,
    This is amazing news for me, dear friend!
    "Mr. Ed" and I, in our endeavors to do a more gender friendly Master Bedroom make~over,
    have chosen a French Quarters Style.
    I will add that we are challenged in finding those decor items and accessories!
    I've been researching my resources hoping for some inspirational photos to aid in my choices!
    Thanks for this information!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, beautiful plates for your wallscape/mantel Jan! I am definitely a fringe/cording/tassel and dramatic drapes kind of gal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jannie Pooh! Oh, I love your pretty new plates and they look beautiful hung around your mirror! Oooh, your lamps are so pretty and the shade so froo froo. I do love me some froo froo. Hope you're doing well.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete