Saturday, January 30, 2016

Fabrics First!

Hi!  I am glad you came by today.  There's a beautiful home waiting for you to admire.  This home belongs to owners, architect Alex Kaali-Nagy and interior designer Karen Kaali-Nagy.  Alex hails from Europe and it's influence is apparent. He believes that rooms should not be intimidating and all rooms should have the same decorating feel.

In New England Home, "Karen feels the home's sense of peacefulness comes from the symmetry used throughout the home."  “I always work backward,” she laughs, “fabrics first, then wall color, furnishings and carpet."  I decorate exactly the same way!  We think alike!


ct-fal10_kaalinagy_02




new-canaan-table-with-plant
The circular entry hall with it's spiral staircase.



ct-fal10_kaalinagy_01
The entrance hall with hand-painted wallpaper.



ct-fal10_kaalinagy_03
The dining room.



ct-fal10_kaalinagy_05
My heart stopped when I saw this room.  The large portrait with the floral drapes and the red sofa took me over the edge!  You can see the fabric that is used in the dining room on the chairs has the same hue of red in the living room making the spaces flow to one another.



ct-fal10_kaalinagy_04
Then I was surprised when I came across this view of the room.  The red sofa is the only red used in the room.  I am surprised it wasn't continued in the room in some way,  a few pillows with red would certainly help make it appear more balanced.  It almost looks like two separate rooms.



new-canaan-sitting-room-thru-doors2
Later, I came across this photo with the furniture now placed in a definitely different room.



ct-fal10_kaalinagy_06
This is such a handsome room that is also cozy.


ct-fal10_kaalinagy_07
Karen does the cooking in the family.  She has two dishwasher and two refrigerators.   “We used Calacatta marble for the countertops, but topped the island with butternut. It’s a good balance,” Karen explains. "A butler’s pantry in  Brunschwig et Fils paper links kitchen and dining room for ease of entertaining."


ct-fal10_kaalinagy_09




ct-fal10_kaalinagy_08
They have two sons and this is one of their bedrooms.



ct-fal10_kaalinagy_12
The master bedroom is described as “Enveloping,” by Karen.


ct-fal10_kaalinagy_10
For more information go here. to European Union/New England Home.  You can see more of this home at the owner's site, The Kaali-Nagy Company here.





Jan






8 comments:

  1. Oops! I just commented on your other old blog. Anyway, love the rooms - that dining room and the draperies! The living room with the red sofa is gorgeous. Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good Sheila! I decided to keep it going, the photos show so well on it. Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. I could just live in the bedroom. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Hope your weeks goes well!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow Jan, it is beautiful! The floral drapes and upholstered furniture definitely reminds me of you and your beautiful style! Thanks for the wonderful tour of this beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment, Gina! You made my week, heck, my month!

      Delete
  4. Jan,
    Gorgeous rooms within this lovely home, dear friend!!!
    I, too, use fabric for inspiration when beginning new decor within a room!!!
    I adore the curvature on the stairway!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Pat. Yes, that is quite a stairway!

      Delete