Sunday, June 11, 2017

Summer's Floral Party

Up very early this morning and waiting on the light to come into the living room I was thinking about when the last office job I had (many years ago) was just a couple of minutes from our home.  I would go home for lunch and while there I would always immediately notice the colors in my home.  Now I had just left that morning but I worked in a very blah looking office.  Aren't they all?!  But coming home for just a little while and breathing in color always made me feel better.


The early part of the summer months seem to be the prettiest and most enjoyable.  We have some blooms from the yard I brought in.  Some were bought at a local big box store.  A couple of purple hydrangeas and yellow gladiolus along with mint are in this floral delight.




Layla is assisting this morning.  She is a plus size model now.



I love the abundance of flowers this time of year.  It's wonderful to be able to use something from your yard even if it's a small amount.



A garden is timeless and trendless.  That's how I love to decorate, in nature's pretty bounty.





The mint came back from my daughter's plantings, rose of Sharon, purple hydrangeas and butterfly bush help fill out the early Summer floral party. The mint has lasted two years outside!




She had chives, pineapple mint, thyme, catnip, lemon balm, purple basil, sweet mammoth basil, Genovese basil, apple mint, German chamomile, Russian tarragon, sage and fern leaf dill.  Chives, thyme, tarragon, sage and dill can be used in a variety of dishes to add great fresh flavor. You can add chopped dill or chives to butter to make herbed butter.


Catnip, lemon balm, lavender and chamomile can all be used to make herbal teas. They all have a gentle relaxing and calming effect and can be mixed together. Catnip and lemon balm also repel insects and can be used to make all natural homemade insect repellent.  I keep telling her to blog but she doesn't have the time.









The morning sun is shining bright now.  Time to go get some pretty color!



Jan







2 comments: